Imagine a Jazz band evoking the magic of a cinematographic bar in New York, a midnight in Paris, a Woody Allen movie?
Our Jazz group is dedicated to an elegant, swinging and romantic presentation of the songs of an era when Jazz and Swing was the most popular music from the east coast to the west, on the radios and movies, in the ballrooms of the metropolis – uniting dance music with poetry, sophisticated melodies with some Bossas and Boleros.
Another enchantment in the creation of the band Jazztopia are the utopias – from Thomas Morus’ island to the cultural effervescence of the twenties, as in Fritz Lang’s “Metropolis”, the apotheosis of “2001: A Space Odyssey” by Stanley Kubrick, sound of Viennese waltzes, Strauss and Ligeti.
Born by the passion of the German architects Lennart and Wolfram for Jazz, it was not by chance that the band debuted in 2007 at the house “The MAZE” by English filmmaker, journalist and artist Bob Nadkarni, who originally created the mock-ups for the spacecraft.
In this surreal, inspiring and poetic setting of “The MAZE” the Jazz tradition goes hand in hand with futurism. Wolfram plays the tenor sax, whose jazzy voice evolved from Sidney Bechet and Coleman Hawkins, since Brother Hammond’s organ Lennart owes its origins to the scientific experiments of the American inventor Laurens Hammond in Chicago in 1935. Already in the years 50 the organ takes off with the full force of a space rocket, touched by the skillful hands of Jimmy Smith.
Jazztopia invites you to a trip, where the Jazz tradition meets futurism in an unprecedented adventure.
The formation of the band adapts to the most varied environments and occasions, such as
- Duo: Saxophone & Piano / Keyboard
- Trio: Saxophone & Organ Hammond & Drums OR Saxophone & Piano / Keyboard & Acoustic Double Bass
- Quartet: Saxophone & Piano / Keyboard & Acoustic Double Bass & Drums
Cole Porter, George Gershwin, Duke Ellington, Sidney Bechet, Henry Mancini, Jimmy Smith and other compositions until the 1950s
Places where we present
- Copacabana Palace – presentation for private events
- CCBB – Cultural Center of Banco do Brasil – music events and cultural center projects
- JW Marriott Rio – Copacabana: “Jazz no Lobby”
- Museum of Modern Art – MAM Rio Space – various events such as the “Uranium Film Festival”, concerts promoted by MAM and private parties
- Museum of Tomorrow – private event
- Marina da Glória – Bota Restaurante – music events for guests
- The MAZE Rio – Jazz Club
- Free Jazz & Blues Festival – Nova Friburgo
- Hotel Emiliano Copacabana – music events for guests
- Aeronautics Club – private event
- Música no Museu Project – Tribute to George Gershwin (presentations from 2008 to 2018)
- Consulate General of Germany & Residence of the Consul General of Germany
- Olympics 2016 – presentation at the German Beach Pavillon – “OliAle” in Leblon, Rio de Janeiro